Today in France marks the 100th anniversary of the first climb up Galibier. The thoughtful race directors decided to celebrate this anniversary by making the cyclists climb the peak not once, but twice! Today in Stage 18, Luxembourgan Andy Schleck reached the top first to claim the stage win. If you want to see how steep this MOUNTAIN (seriously – they’re in the Alps!) is – click here. The riders get to climb it again tomorrow but today’s climb is the highest in the history of the tour.
My workout today involves simulating this gigantic climb for the riders of Tour de Midtown at Inside Out. Here’s the profile:
I spent much of the afternoon crafting the following playlist to get my Spinners through the challenge ahead –
100 Candles Playlist
1. The Underdog Spoon. Warm-up. Fast feet.
2. You’ve Got the Love Florence and the Machine. Fast feet, HP2 jogs.
3. Bright Lights Bigger City CeeLo Green. Adding resistance, end in HP3 easy climb.
4. Shark in the Water V.V. Brown. Sprint, especially choruses.
5. Swimming Florence and the Machine. HP3 Heavy Climb.
6. Until the End Breaking Benjamin. Continue Heavy Climb.
7. Club Love Re-Mix Taylor Swift Heavy Climb and sprint to Summit.
8. Parallel Universe Red Hot Chili Peppers Sprint down that mountain!
9. Unknown Title Techno (ha.) Long steady climb up the second hill.
10. More Usher Sprint down that hill, keep some resistance on, add on choruses.
11. Set Fire to the Rain Adele Start of last hill – steady in the saddle.
12. Heart of a Champion Nelly Attack the last of the hill – HP3.
Hope they survive! Oh, and it’s thankful Thursday! – what are you thankful for today?
I am thankful that I had the opportunity to sleep in until 7 am today! That’s heaven to me 🙂