Happy Saturday! I dubbed today a rest day so that I could sleep in for the first time in a long while on the weekend 🙂 We were out celebrating arrivals and birthdays last night in the only proper manner – with tequila. I do plan to do some kind of activity today along the lines of continuing to explore the city, I just haven’t decided if it will be on foot walking or on a rented bicycle. I may get all the exercise I need hauling bags and bags around town with all my tax-free-weekend goodies!
Let’s get to know the basics about Austin before I get too settled in here. It’s always nice to know a little bit about what you’re dealing with in a city.
- Capitol of Texas
- Population: 820,611
- 13th most populous city in the U.S.
- Growing rapidly with a 3% increase in population last year
- Average rainfall: 33.6 inches per year
- Average sunshine: 2650 hours or 60% of the year
- 109 days of the year are over 90 degrees
- 88 days of the year below 45 degrees
- The largest city in the U.S. without a professional sports league
I’m ok with most of those things – especially the sunshine. I’m not sure how I feel about no professional sports teams, but that just means I can keep my allegiance to the Colts and the Grizzlies 🙂 Besides, I’ve heard the Longhorns are basically just like a professional team – we’ll have to see about that!