The following recipe is my personalized twist on a recipe found in the January 2012 edition of Oprah Magazine.
My inspiration for the recipes I’m choosing for my weekly cooking challenge are coming from a variety of places – blogs, cookbooks, magazines and my own creativity. I’m always on the lookout for combinations of ingredients I’ll enjoy that take minimal time to prepare. I thought the Cajun Kale Soup with Andouille Sausage looked perfect for me!
I liked all the vegetables, the broth base and the inclusion of sausage. Once I found myself in the kitchen, I was making all sorts of adjustments along the way! Click the above link for Oprah’s Recipe and see below for my improvisation on it.
Red and Green Sausage Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 links chicken sausage, sliced
- 1 box (4 cups) chicken stock
- 1 large can peeled, chopped tomatoes
- 2 handfuls of greens (kale, turnip, spinach)
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion and celery and cook until transparent (about 4 minutes), stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, peppers and sausage, cooking until peppers soften (about 5 minutes). Mix in thyme and allspice.
- Add tomatoes and broth, stirring to mix all the vegetables together. Bring the contents of the pot to a boil and add your leafy greens. Stir again to mix the greens with the soup.
- Let the soup simmer, covered for 15-20 minutes. Add additional salt or seasonings to taste (I did not add anything else).
- Serve and enjoy!
I enjoyed two bowls of this after my run and could probably have eaten a third it’s so delicious! I think I’ve got lunch covered for at least two days this week now too! This soup is just what I needed to combat the cold front that has descended on Memphis.
Enjoy! What was the best part of your weekend?