The Center for Disease Control released a study in August of 2011 stating that half of the U.S. population over age 2 consumes sugary drinks daily. Are you one of them?!
I can’t say I’m completely surprised at this statistic, and honestly it’s a little lower than I would think, maybe because juices, coffee drinks, sweetened teas and flavored milks weren’t included. Sugary drinks are everywhere – fast food, gas stations, sporting events, movie theaters, coffee shops, bars. This image displays pretty clearly the caloric damage you could do in a day of beverages. 1370 calories?! That’s almost the equivalent of a normal day of eating for me!
The article highlighted some other statistics:
- Male teens are the most frequent consumers and guzzle about 252 to 273 calories every day from various drinks.
- Kids and teens get about 6.7% to 8.2% of their daily caloric intake from the beverages, and adults get about 5% to 8%. (May not seem like much, but can add up to pounds a year!)
You may read the full article on CNN.com by clicking here.
I am in no way suggesting that you should eliminate all sugary drinks from your lifestyle – I love a sugary coffee drink or adult beverage every now an then! I do think it’s important to be aware – think back on your day of drinks and see what makes the list. Lots of sugary beverages? Try replacing with some of the options below:
- Unsweetened hot or cold tea (available in a variety of flavors – try Green Tea with Jasmine or Spiced Chai Tea – not Chai Tea Lattes….)
- Flavored sparkling water like Perrier or La Croix
- Ice water (sometimes you just can’t beat it)
- If you must have that sweet coffee fix (like me!) – opt for the “Skinny” version. Skim milk and sugar-free syrup!
- Skim milk or unsweetened almond milk
How sugary was your day? What other sugar-free alternatives do you suggest?